Microsoft has chosen to make a public beta version of the next Microsoft Security Essentials. The Beta is downloadable from Microsoft Connect and exists in both a x86 and x64 version.
- Windows® Firewall integration: Microsoft Security Essentials setup allows you to turn on Windows Firewall.
- Enhanced protection from web-based threats: Microsoft Security Essentials has enhanced integration with Internet Explorer® which helps prevent malicious scripts from running and provides improved protection against web based attacks.
- New and improved protection engine: The updated engine offers enhanced detection and cleanup capabilities and better performance.
The System requirements are currently unchanged.
- Operating System:
- Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3)
- Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2)
- Windows 7
- For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 256 MB RAM or higher.
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
- VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher
- 140 MB of available hard disk space.
- An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Internet Browser:
- Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
- Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.
- Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7. For more information, see the system requirements for Windows XP Mode in Windows 7